Wednesday 25 May 2011

When Spring Comes Back to England

I don't think I could ever settle down abroad; I'd miss the seasons in England too much. My favourite season has to be spring, not just because of my obsession with blossom, but because of all the other beautiful countryside things that begin to wake up over April and May; hawthorn flowers, lady's smock, daisies, cuckoos, sky larks and the anticipation of warmth, and green life of summer to come. Here's a nice spring poem and spring pics, just because I love it.

(Alfred Noyes)
When Spring comes back to England
And crowns her brows with May,
Round the merry moonlit world
She goes the greenwood way:
She throws a rose to Italy,
A fleur-de-lys to France;
But round her regal morris-ring
The seas of England dance.

When Spring comes back to England
And dons her robe of green,
There's many a nation garlanded
But England is the Queen;
She's Queen, she's Queen of all the world
Beneath the laughing sky,
For the nations go a-Maying
When they hear the New Year cry -

"Come over the water to England,
My old love, my new love,
Come over the water to England,
In showers of flowery rain;
Come over the water to England,
April, my true love;
And tell the heart of England
The Spring is here again!"












No comments:

Post a Comment